Tuesday, July 26, 2011

B1G1

That's buy one get one free for those of you not into couponing yet! Here's idea #2, your freebie!

IDEA 2
The second idea I have used for a few years, and only in 5th grade at this point. It came from the book:
Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire by Rafe Esquith. This is a great little book to recharge your teacher power grid before school starts.  It's a quick read with several good ideas. In this book  he describes how to set up
a banking system in your classroom.  I have used this system as part of my classroom management plan, and have gotten great feedback from students and parents.  The students apply for classroom jobs, which they will be responsible for all semester. They are paid weekly for their work and then have to pay fees out of their wages. All of this is done on paper and no type of money is actually used.  Each student has a banker, one of the jobs applied for, who pays them and charges them taxes and rent for their desk weekly. The students may also have to pay fines for late assignments or neglect of duties. Of course it's no fun to just earn money, you've got to spend it too! At the end of each month I  hold an auction where the students can "spend" their "money". I asked the parents to send in little trinkets to be auctioned.   I  take the highest bidder, and love to watch their bidding wars. We've  had pretty high inflation. A plastic ring might go for $1,000 if it is popular. The students can also save their money and buy their desk. I  set a purchase price, along with all the fees and fines, at the beginning of the year.  This is wildly popular, because once they buy their own desk they can buy someone elses and have them pay rent. I always have a few entrepreneurs who do this! This system does take a little preparation before hand, and I do have to teach them how to bank, but it is worth it. In the process they are learning: economics, math standards, and life skills. You could expand this to include money for good behavior too I guess. If I were teaching this year, I think I would try to have them bank using Excel spreadsheets. Using Excel is one of our Technology teaching standards, and I think a real life use of it could be good.

I have all the forms,  the Power Point, a list of jobs and their wages,  a fees and fines sign, etc. I would be happy to email them to you if you're interested. Just leave a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Sally,
    I would love to have the materials you are offering for this idea. Will you please email them to me at brelandc@jackson.k12.al.us.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete